Monday, February 04, 2013

Rhythm Amongst Utter Confusion

As I read "God also said to Moses, 'I am the LORD.  I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them. (Exodus 6:2-3) I heard a beat.  Was it a drum, was it bass?  No, it was a heartbeat.  Flashbacks of David teaching a group of students about God's heartbeat for humanity flew across my mind.  My heart did backflips as I realized this was one of those beats in that repetitive rhythm that awes me.

I have always loved a good beat.  From my childhood, living near the high school football stadium, hearing the drums lead the march into the stands to songs on the radio to a drumroll just before a reveal or punchline.

I admit I don't always comprehend the beat of His Heart for His ways are much higher than mine so I usually look like I have two left feet when He asks me to dance.  I even searched and dug back through Genesis to see how Abraham referred to him. Remembering that Moses is believed to have been the author of the Pentateuch most likely during the 40 year wandering in the desert helped appease my brain's snivelings of defiance. This is the name Moses had come to know as the LORD's!   In this passage God is telling Moses: I am introducing myself to you and the Israelites that are captive in Egypt in a way that has not been done before- as One who redeems, Breaker of your bondage, One who will be with you.  So listen up, watch, and experience! It will be NEW and I am letting you be part of it!

There are so many beats that make up the rhythm of His love for humanity from the first beat of Creation to the last breath of Jesus on the cross to the crescendo of his ascent first from the grave and then on to the right side of the Father- all of which were NEW, NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. A cloud passing by a cleft in a rock, delivery of a promised land, a Most Holy Place, a virgin birth, a child teaching scholars; it goes on and on.

 So why does my own heart and soul pound so with anticipation and excitement?  Because it is continuing steadily building until that day that He reconciles it all, when He seals His claim to us for eternity, and removes the separation for good! One can't even guess what that NEW THING WILL BE or who gets to participate!  But He knows!

No comments: