Monday, May 06, 2013

Jesus and books

Two short sentences following one of the greatest accounts shared through Scripture.  I have read them repeatedly in my life but I think in previous moments I have been so emotionally enveloped in the description of what my Savior and Friend had just experienced on my behalf as well as his interaction with Peter in the previous verses that I have overlooked them.  (This too is one of my favorite accounts in the Bible).

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." -John 21:25

These words proclaim the Power and Efficiency of Jesus Christ as they simply stand on the page, from the 33 years of life to the 3 or so years of ministry.

If I already can't fathom what I know about Him doing, how much did he really do? I allowed my mind to wander through my memories of the first time I saw the library in the animated film Beauty and the Beast  and continue through my tour of the library at the Biltmore in Asheville. These two experiences alone, as minimal as they are, created awe within me.  As the realization struck me that John did not have the experience of holding a modern book or walking through a Barnes and Noble and seeing binding after binding lining shelf after shelf, these words grew in size and meaning before my eyes "the whole world would not have room". John also did not know at this point how many years the Body would continue in this world following the resurrection to be able to testify to what the Arisen LORD would do through hearts down through the ages! Already he is exclaiming that the world could not hold the accounts which is in reality a fraction of what He has done! What POWER!! what GLORY!! Whom and what shall we fear?!?!

1 comment:

Meagan Maki said...

I love this.